Sunday, February 8, 2009

Big post today #3: playing with chemicals in a heat wave

Melbourne sweltered through its hottest day on record yesterday - 46.4C (or 116F in the old language). The temperature, recorded at 3.05pm, smashed the previous benchmark of 45.6C recorded on Black Friday, January 13, 1939. It was the highest temperature in the city since the weather bureau began keeping records in 1855.

"Birds are dropping out of the sky" Barry Tapp, of Animal Cruelty Victoria, said.

At least 26 people are dead in the bushfires ripping through Victoria, but the death toll could pass 40. Whole towns have been destroyed and thousands of people left homeless with record temperatures and fierce winds sparking devastating infernos.

Crikey!! This is horrific. To all my country friends, please let me know that you are OK... call, text whatever.

While all this firestorm devastation was going on we were playing with chemicals! (call us brave, call us stupid...)

The ever-amazing Jen Crossley drove down from Ballarat (in this heat wave!!) to do a class on etching with 7 of us. Gail very kindly hosted and turned her aircon up to full blast.

Messy bunch aren't we!

BUT the mess was worth it! This is what I made:

and my inspiration:

WOW Jen is one talented lady.... However Jen proved that she is fallible with a little foaming chemical accident (oops) and a large struggle to make Gail's dremel work....

They failed to get it going .... but check out the cleavage!!! :-)

On a final note I give you the irony for this Sunday the 8th of February, it is currently raining (but not enough to put out a fire) and 21C in Melbourne, as this photo will attest....

hmmm... variety is the spice of life?

I have a few things going on this week, but I have a couple more updates for you so stay tuned!

cheers

Liz

4 comments:

Sam Marshall said...

So distressing to hear about the damage these fires have caused to so many.

WOW!! Absolutely amazing photos. I love all the creations. Just beautiful. Looks like an awesome workshop. Jen Crossley's art is fantastic.

Jen Crossley said...

It was a great day creative wise,and I was having a great cleavage day as well LOL
Good to see you again
Liz
THe fires are really devasting.
Jen

Lorri said...

It's terrible to hear about the fires. It really is affecting so many people and my heart is aching for them all.
On a happier note, I love what you created - I wish I was there to join in the fun!

Elizabeth Golden said...

Love the jewelry pieces, wish you would do a how to on this.